Wednesday, September 2, 2009


I know what you are thinking, WHAT? Her baby widget says she still has 24 days to go?
For those of you who don't want to read about my labor experience, (its a long one sorry) here are the basic stats.
He was born on Friday Aug 28 at 9:08 am
(he was an entire month early!)
He weighed 6 lbs 1 oz
(it was actually 6 lbs .07 and they rounded up)
And is 18 inches long

Here is how it all went down...
At 1 am on Friday morning I rolled over in bed to change positions, and all of the sudden I heard a POP and felt a gush of fluid. Half asleep I thought to myself "Did I really just pee the bed?" So I hopped out of bed and waddled to the bathroom.

Not quite sure what happened I then waddled back to the bedroom and said to my resting husband "I think my water just broke". Kory then advised me ever so tiredly to "call your doctor"

So I called my sister :)

After talking to her we came to the conclusion that it probably was just pee, and that I should go back to bed, but then I stood up, and GUSH! more water. She then advised me to put a towel between my legs and waddle my cute pregnant butt to the hospital because he was coming.

So I wake my sleeping husband again and tell him we are heading to the hospital to have a baby. Because it was an entire month early, I didn't have my bag packed for the hospital. I barely had his bed put up and his clothes sorted. So you could say I was a bit nervous.

When we got to the hospital they admitted me right away and checked me, and sure enough my water had indeed broken, and I was dilated to a 2. But I wasn't having contractions really, so they started me on ptocin to initiate labor.

It was about 2 am at this point. We were both feeling in shock at this point and I was just worried, and really could not believe it was happening. My worry list was endless as I thought of all the scenarios that could happen to us in the next 10 or more hours.

My nurse came in and asked me to let her know when I would like my epidural. Since I hadn't had any real contractions yet, I thought I would wait and see until it progressed. Well after one real contraction I decided I wanted an epidural. ( Its not like I am a baby or anything, I just felt like I needed to get it started :) ) Anyway, so the anesthesiologist came in and gave me my epidural. He was so awesome! Seriously I hate needles, and I hate shots, even getting my blood drawn gives me severe anxiety. So before my epidural I was feeling pretty anxious. But my anesthesiologist talked me through the entire thing, letting me know exactly how it would feel each time he did something. And it felt just like he explained it. When it was all said and done it was so much easier than I had imagined it would be.

So its about 4 am by the time we get the epidural in, and I immediately start to feel numb and only feel one other contraction. My nurse decides to check me again and says oh you are still only to a 2, so we are going to up your ptocin to help you progress quicker.

The main concern at this point was that Axel was losing his little swimming pool surrounding him and he was having these "variables" and as I had contractions his little heart rate would dip. So it was important that we got him out sooner than later. Oh and they put me on oxygen to help with that, how that helped I still don't know. The oxygen made me really really cold and shaky. I think this was the first time my whole pregnancy that I was cold. :)

My nurse said to me that I should now progress about 1 CM an hour. So all we had to do now was "get some rest" So Kory, Axel and I just kicked it for about 3 more hours. Then at 7, even though I was really numb and had no control of my legs at all, I felt all this pressure in my back and hips.

Right around that time, my mom showed up. I told her what I was feeling and she requested the nurse check me. We were anticipating to be only to a 5, because 2 plus 3 is 5. But the nurse checked and said oh you are at a 10. Its time to have this baby!

I remember feeling completely shocked, like are you kidding? I thought I had more time? The nurse went and called my Doctor, who was in a surgery, so she said we would begin pushing in 45 minutes to an hour because most first time moms take 3 or so more hours of pushing anyway. And that we had plenty of time. ( But when have I had plenty of time with this pregnancy, lets be honest here folks the kid was already a month early. ) Now, to me that sounded great. My mom however was a little nervous, and was like, not my girls they don't, once they are at a 10, that baby comes, and it comes quick.

But we waited anyway, it ended up being about an hour and a half instead before my doctor showed up. So it was about 8:30 when my doctor showed up, he checked me and said ok lets begin pushing.

Because I am a procrastinator I didn't take a class on labor, or even read about it. The only thing I knew about labor was the horror stories I had heard from everyone else. So I was pretty nervous and very unprepared.

The nurse explained to me briefly that we would begin pushing while the doctor got ready. On each contraction I would need to take a deep breath and hold it while I pushed, and I would need to push 3 times for 10 seconds each.

That was it as far instructions went. We just had to wait for the next contraction to start.

She then instructed Kory to come hold my leg and she would hold the other one. So she grabbed my foot and the next thing I knew my leg was by chest. I looked over and was like "is that my leg?" I could not feel it at all, it was the strangest feeling in the world.

We then waited for the next contraction. It was the longest minute of my life.

And the pushing began. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,...10 (you get the idea) and again and again. And Rest.

We did that through a total of 5 contractions before the doctor and the resident showed up.

They then threw those floppy legs of mine on to the stirrups and we began to push.

We did that through one contraction . The second contraction I had, I pushed once and then my doctor told me to take a big breath and then let it out, and BAM there was my little Baby Axel. Beautiful and white.


He was white because the cord was wrapped around his neck, (which explains the variables) the doctor said the cord was not tightly but moderately wrapped. I don't remember that part so much because I just was too distracted by him and the emotions of it all. He was beautiful, in every way, even covered with the icky sticky white stuff. He was there and alive and all mine.

What I do remember about the cord was the look on Kory's face when the doctor asked him to cut the cord, he was very excited and just thrilled. This brought me even more joy as I watched intently my husband enthusiastically cutting the cord of our baby boy.

I couldn't believe it, he was here, and he was healthy considering how early he was. Because of the cord they quickly took him over to a little station in our room to get him to breath a little better and to monitor him since he was so early. While they did that I just stared and watched as nurses and doctors and Kory surrounded my baby all encouraging him to be strong. And he did not disappoint.

The doctor predicted he would be about 5 lbs because I was only 35 and a half weeks. However he was a whole pound heavier. This was very reassuring to me.

They worked on him for a little bit and then brought him back to me to let me hold him for about a minute before they took him to the NICU. I got to cuddle him in my arms and kiss his little cheeks. But then had to give him back to them and watch as they wheeled him off to the NICU.
That was hard.


Kory went with Axel, and my mom stayed with me. They got me all cleaned up and then Kory came back and said that he was doing well but they wanted to put him on a CPAP machine to help his lungs and breathing for about an hour.

After they got me all cleaned up and stitched up, it was time also for me to transfer to the Mother/Baby floor. They told me I would be able to swing by the NICU to see him on my way down, so I was very anxious to get going on that.

They wheeled me into the NICU and took me back to see my baby boy. He was so tiny, and plugged into the CPAP machine. I wanted to scoop him up in my arms again, but knew that he needed to get better. They let me touch his little hands and toes for about another minute before they wheeled me off to my room in Mother/Baby.

At this point I felt very empty. I had my mom and Kory but I wanted my baby. He felt so far from me. This was very hard for me. I wanted to be by his side, cheering him on to work hard and show them how strong he is, but instead I was so far away half numb, cold and shaky.


The waiting game was at that point the hardest thing I had to do thus far. I would feel my stomach move and I would think "Oh he is kicking", but then quickly realize, no that is just my stomach, he is on a completely different floor, and it made me really sad, even more emotional, and helpless.

They decided to keep him on the CPAP Machine for another hour and then around noon they finally wheeled him into my room and I finally got to be with my baby boy.


Leslie said...

Oh wow! How exciting and scary and fast! HE IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

And, um, I'm thinking that maybe they were way off with your due date or something. For him to weigh that much and be healthy--yeah.

So is he home now????

Emily said...

Congratulations!! During my OB rotation I would tear up with every delivery. And now sitting here, I'm tearing up as I read your story of your delivery. That is crazy you dilated so fast (especially with the epidural) and didn't have to push for too long. I'm glad Axel is doing well and is healthy. I am so happy for you and Kory!

Jill said...

Congrats! I'm glad everything went so well - especially considering how suddenly he came!

You'll have to send me your address, so I can send you something.

KaSs MiLeS said...

He is so sweet! i love his saggy little legs. :) so proud of you amy!!! i told you you'd do great!!!

Keri said...

Thanks for telling the whole story, I always miss it being on this end.
Congrats and I hope you're feeling well.

Kelli and/or Kyle said...

He really is so cute. Every time you said epidural or stitches I felt seriously ill. You made it sound so smooth and well but it still seems fairly horrifying. Yet your pictures after it are so pretty! My hair looks greasier and nastier than yours did when I first do it! You should have told everyone how Kory told you to watch the clock when he was supposed to count. That was my favorite part :)

Melonius said...

i guess he just really wanted to make that kindergarten deadline. cuz i know you're thinking about that right now.

Courtney said...

Congratulations you guys!!! He's absolutely gorgeous!!! I LOVE all that hair! :0) And I love the birth story...isn't it fun having one of your own now???
Welcome baby Axel...

bearclaw said...

congrats. he did better than Tim did when he was that early.

Sarah said...

What an intense episode - Congratulations, he's absolutely adorable!

Shanna said...

What an adventure! Congratulations. He is sooo adorable. I'm glad to hear that everything turned out well and that you are both healthy.

LeeRae said...

Congratulations you guys~
I totally got teary eyed reading this... I’m so glad everything went well. I love how he took you guys in total surprise! He is just so precious~ you and Kory are going to be such awesome parents!
Love you guys and I already love Axel!

Our EyreLife said...

Oh, how I hate you for getting yours before I get mine. And yet oh, how much I love you for getting yours so soon! He's adorable and I'm just SOBBING here in excitement for you and in sadness that the little dude couldn't cuddle close to you right away.

But I'm so glad he's with you now. I loved the story. Can't wait to tell you mine.

I'm so jealous.
And so so so so so happy for you!
Congrats little mama!

rain said...

Okay, I FINALLY got through your post! For some reason, when I found out that you'd told the story, I began to read...and then everything went nuts, and I could only get like, a paragraph in at a time.
I'm so happy for you guys! Your life will never be the same...and personally, I am always so thankful for that. I've decided that he's going to be Cole's little twin, and I'm really excited about this. Which is weird, but as I held him in the hospital, I was reminded of when Cole was born, and as a mom, I remembered what you meant when you mentioned "emotion" at seeing your baby. It just comes at you. Anyway, he's beautiful. And, he'd be beautiful even if he didn't look so much like my baby boy...but seeing that he does kinda melts my heart. ;)

We love you guys and are so happy for you!

Kat Clark said...

What a great story! I love hearing a first time Moms story and getting to remember all of the emotion. So precious, thanks for sharing.

etta said...

he is beautiful! it sounds like our labors were a lot alike...just a few hours and a few pushes and then baby comes:)..but the aftermath is not so fun (me being stitched up, but worse for you guys having your little guy in the NICU) i hope everything is wonderful now:) if you need sleep, dont hesitate to call me:)i'll watch him so you can take a nap! we can help eachother out:)